Historical fiction

Posted by Helen Tuesday, December 18, 2012 ,

Historical fiction was the introduction to history for me as it must have been for many people. Somehow, as time went on and I read more history and biography I began to find the fictional version less interesting. I still reach for Georgette Heyer's Regency romances if I want a pleasant comfortable afternoon and there are one or two (not many more) historical detective story writers whose work I enjoy but I doubt whether I would get quite as involved with The Three Musketeers as I did at the age of 10. The real story behind the siege of La Rochelle, on the other hand, is fascinating.

Still, one must applaud historical fiction and its continuing popularity, not to mention the fact that through Hilary Mantel's work it has acquired a literary status it did not possess before. An admission: have not yet read Ms Mantel's books about Thomas Cromwell.

History Today has a list of historical novels published in 2012, starting with Bring Up The Bodies and ending .... well, with a slightly unexpected choice. Do read the short article.

1 Responses to Historical fiction

  1. dfordoom Says:
  2. I devoured historical fiction when I was young. Robert Graves' I, Claudius and even more especially his Count Belisarius (I've been fascinated by the Byzantine period ever since), Alfred Duggan's historical novels set in the ancient world (especially Elephants and Castles which deals with Demetrius the Besieger) and of course Conan Doyle's The White Company.

     
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Labels

Counters




Blog Archive